ORDER THE RECORDING WHAT YOU'LL LEARN MEET YOUR TRAINING TEAM WHO WILL BENEFIT
With Washington increasingly moving at a snail’s pace,lobbyists have to know how to affect legislation at the state level and how to manage several legislative efforts in different states to be effective. But each state is it’s own minefield of laws and regulations, so how can you achieve your organization’s goals without running afoul of the law?
Purchase the OnDemand Recording of Lobbying Beyond Washington: Mastering the Differences in State and Federal Compliance. In this vital webinar, top state and local lobbying experts reveal "outside Washington" pitfalls. Whether you are new to lobbying or political activities at the state level, or are expanding into multiple states, this practical guidance helps you empower every member of your team to promote your cause without triggering compliance issues or negative publicity.
Sign up your entire team -- plus members, clients and employees -- to learn how to navigate state campaign and lobbying laws, including how to:
- Avoid common - but costly - mistakes at the state level
- Identify state-to-state differences in filing of activity reports
- Understand differing federal and state definitions of "lobbying" and "political activities" affect compliance
- Ensure compliance when lobbying in multiple states
- Handle data and records to help in the event of an audit
- Correctly classify activities as grassroots lobbying or goodwill building - and how to report them correctly at the state and/or federal level
- Register and report spending/income for lobbying organizations vs. individual lobbyists and clients
- Comply with the state restrictions on gifts and campaign contributions that don't apply at the federal level
- Minimize the consequences of violating state rules
- Learn about new and potential state lobbying & ethics law changes
Meet Your Training Team
Jill Holtzman Vogel, HoltzmanVogelJosefiak specializes in ethics, campaign finance and tax exempt organizations. In addition to managing the firm, in February 2004, she was named Chief Counsel of the Republican National Committee. As counsel, she led the national party’s legal effort during the 2004 Presidential election. In 2007, Jill was elected to the State Senate of Virginia. She serves on several key Senate committees, Finance, Rules, Courts of Justice, Privileges and Elections and General Laws. Jill has repeatedly appeared in Washingtonian Magazine’s ranking of top lawyers in the metro area, and is a frequent speaker on issues involving corporations, non-profits, ethics and lobbying rules.
Jason Torchinsky, Partner, HoltzmanVogelJosefiak- Jason specializes in campaign finance, election law, lobbying disclosure and issue advocacy groups. POLITICO named Jason one of the “50 Politicos to Watch,” and in 2007, Campaigns and Elections Magazine named Jason a “Rising Star of Politics.” Jason frequently lectures on campaign finance redistricting and ethics subjects and provides commentary to the media on election related matters.
Lisa Dixon, Associate, HoltzmanVogelJosefiak PLLC. Prior to joining the law firm, Lisa previously worked as a summer legal intern at the IRS Chief Counsel, Procedure and Administration, and at the Center for Law and Religious Freedom. Lisa earned a J.D. from the University of Virginia School of Law in 2010, where she was a Dillard Fellow and was Executive Editor on the Virginia Journal of Social Policy and the Law. She also holds an M.A. in History from the University of Virginia and a B.A. in History from Hillsdale College.
Who Will Benefit
This webinar offers essential guidance for your entire government relations team, including:
- Federal lobbyists,state lobbyists and law firms with lobbying arms
- Government relations/lobbying personnel at corporations and associations
- Associations with grassroots/advocacy arms that work on the state level
- Corporations' issue/advocacy groups that engage in political activity at the state level
Purchase the all-new State Lobbying Compliance Handbook being released this March along with this webinar and save $100! Must be purchased in conjunction with the webinar.