Have you aligned your activities with HLOGA? Don't let the new year find you unprepared. The GAO has now gone through several audit cycles. With leeway for unintentional failure to disclose expired, flawed disclosure and information monitoring will now trigger enforcement actions - and severe civil and criminal penalties.
Keeping your political activities, yourself, and your firm in compliance with the law takes vigilance. Find out what you can do now to protect yourself and prepare.
Order the OnDemand recording
of Preparing for a GAO Audit of your Lobbying Disclosure Filings
. This information-packed audioconference arms you with specific "do it now" guidance for making sure your records, contributions, gifts, practices and reporting will stand up under the harshest regulatory scrutiny.
From checklists to real-world advice, you'll come away with a solid action plan you can implement right away, allowing you to breathe easy as you make all of the required filings.
Listen in to learn tips for "audit proofing" your activities including:
- How to minimize your chances of being audited (including a training and documentation Compliance Checklist to complete by year-end)
- What the GAO is looking for - and what could trigger further actions beyond the audit
- Lessons learned from past audits, including where problems arose and what documentary support was requested
- What to do - and what to avoid - in the event of an audit
- Specific documentation, training protocols and other items that have (and haven't) passed muster with auditors
Also, gain practical "dos and don'ts" for specific questions:
- Which federal political contributions and expenditures require disclosure?
- What information will a GAO audit require you to make available?
- How can you reduce your exposure in terms of non-lobbying staff?
- What disclosure rules apply to donations other than political contributions?
Order the OnDemand recording and you'll sail through audit season confident your filings won't put you at risk for devastating publicity, enforcement actions and even prison time.
Meet Your Trainer
Cleta Mitchell, Foley and Lardner- Ms. Mitchell is one of the nation's leading authorities on HLOGA and author of the Lobbying Compliance Manual: A Practitioner's Guide in the Age of HLOGA. With more than 30 years of experience in law, politics and public policy, she practices before the FEC and similar federal and state enforcement agencies and advises lobbying firms, law firms, corporations, nonprofit organizations, candidates, campaigns and individuals on lobbying, ethics and financial disclosure compliance. Ms. Mitchell was recently selected by her peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2010 edition for her work in administrative law. She was also named a "Top Lawyer" in Washington D.C. by the Washingtonian for her work in political and campaign law.
Who Will Benefit
This audioconference offers essential guidance for the entire lobbying team, including:
- Lobbying firms, including law firms with lobbying arms
- Government relations/lobbying personnel at corporations and not-for-profits
- Individual registered lobbyists
- CEOs, Presidents and HR directors of companies and organizations involved in dealings with the government
- Heads of coalitions and people who fund a significant portion of them
- PACs, campaigns and fundraising organizations
Don't wait! Order the OnDemand recording.